.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Jessica Jones, Season 2



An Alcoholic Superhero
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine."
Raymond Chandler




By Gary;

I ignored Netflix's Jessica Jones for a long time. Heck it came out at the tail end of 2015, and the last thing I wanted was to waste time on a comic hero I never heard of.

Then in 2017 came along Netflix's The Defenders series with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I was not entirely displeased.


There was a certain something about Jones that caused me to go back to the series. So as I drifted through the Netflix selections there was Jessica Jones again. This time I clicked. . . . not just clicked, but got hooked into another binge watch.

A superhero who is a alcoholic, rude, asshole.  Something different.

Shades of Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade we see superhero Jones as an alcoholic greasy private eye in a crappy building surrounded by low lifes and druggies. Jones pretty much does not give a damn about anyone and takes clients to be able to buy booze.


There is a certain 1940s film noir quality to the season one 13 part Jones series.  Sort of The Maltese Falcon meets The X-Men if there is such a thing.


I gave season one an 8 out of 10 rating.


Season 2

It took a few days to power through 13 one-hour episodes of season two. That takes some dedication.

The results?  Mixed.

The supporting characters played by Carrie-Anne MossEka Darville and Rachael Taylor grew in importance and depth. Krysten Ritter's Jones character remained rather flat in my eyes.

The key weakness of the season was the lack of a true supervillain.

Having Jones' mother as the villain did not cut it with me. Plus the mom's character and acting were rather weak. 

In season one Jones was fighting against a mind controlling mutant played by David Tennant.  Tennant was fantastic. A hard act to follow.

Also the displayed "superpowers" of the Marvel characters were minimal. Budgets being the main reason I suspect.

I felt season two meandered a bit from character to character. Not really sure what direction to take. The film noir elements were wisely kept in place, but a solid direction was lacking.

The show is well worth watching. But my rating drops it by one point.

Rated 7 out of 10



No comments: