.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Saturday, October 29, 2016

My Halloween Movies For The Weekend



Decompress from the Election


By Gary;

Politics is driving the nation insane.  So for me to decompress from this insanity I choose to enter the even more insane world of horror movies.

I put my mind in neutral and have lined up five classic films for this weekend.

#1  -  Dracula   (1931)

Yes I have seen this thing a million times since childhood.  But I just can't help myself.  It is the classic that started it all.  My recent review and re-reading of the book impressed upon me all the more the power of the story.

The creepy atmosphere and black and white filming of the 1931 version cannot be beat.  And we cannot forget the great Dwight Frye as Renfield.  He nearly steals the film.  If you could combine this and the 1992 Francis Ford Coppola version your would have the perfect Dracula movie.


#2  -  Tremors   (1990)

I was blown away when I saw this in the theater.  My God, it is the perfect horror comedy.  Oddly it is funnier than Hell, scary and politically correct at the same time.  In an unusual move for the time, we have multiple racial groups available for munching by the graboids.

Also, a double thumbs up to Val and Earl, the two best handymen ever.




#3  -  The Hills Have Eyes    (2006)

Now we are into hardcore horror with this remake.  The movie is frightening on many levels with mutants, people being burned alive, rape and cannibalism.


#4  -  Underworld   (2003)

Wow!  Forbidden vampire / werewolf love.

Again I was blown away in the theater by Underworld.  The movie broke new ground with Kate Beckinsale as a vampire who is a Death Dealer Lycan hunter.  Stylish Gothic visuals, leather clad vamps, great special effects and solid action scenes with gun play and silver whips.

#5  -  The Wolf Man    (1941)

This universal classic stars the great Lon Chaney, Jr. as "The Wolf Man" and features Claude RainsEvelyn AnkersRalph BellamyPatric Knowles, and Béla Lugosi.  

A wonderful cast.

In look and feel the movie closely resembles Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, The Mummy and Dracula.  It is way too short 70 minutes in length.  The wolf man special effects stand up well even today.


Jenny Williams:  "Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

No comments: