.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Monday, May 8, 2023

A Little Monday Music - Gordon Lightfoot, RIP



There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
When the green dark forest was too silent to be real

Gordon Lightfoot
Canadian Railroad Trilogy



By Gary;

This was a sad week for me and other fans of the great Canadian Gordon Lightfoot when he passed on May 1st.

I owned all his records. Attended about 20 concerts. Why was I a huge Lightfoot fan?

No fan can answer that. Lightfoot spoke to my soul. In the case of my oldest son it is the band Metallica. For my youngest son it is Phil Collins.

Gordon was a master wordsmith who put poetry into musical form.

Lightfoot topped the US Hot 100 or Adult Contemporary (AC) chart with the hits "If You Could Read My Mind" (1970), "Sundown" (1974); "Carefree Highway" (1974), "Rainy Day People" (1975), and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" (1976).

In US record sales Lightfoot earned seven gold records and three platinum and multi-platinum records.

In a proper send off, at the Mariners Church in Detroit the day after the songwriter died, on May 2nd 2023, at 3:00pm, the bell rang 30 times, 29 times for the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald plus one more for Gordon Lightfoot.

Thank you for the memories.




Sundown was a #1 hit Gold record single and Gold album in the U.S. and Canada and reached #13 on the country music chart.


1982 - Baby Step Back

From the Shadows album here is an early MTV video. "Baby Step Back" peaked at number 17 on the US Adult Contemporary chart and #50 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also reached number six on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart.

 



“I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Everytime I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever. "

Bob Dylan


No comments: