.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Rand Paul is thinking about 2016


The 2016 Constitutional Federalist Dream Ticket
with Marco Rubio on top please.

Rand Paul admits interest in a 2016 bid
  • Hell, it's never too early to start beating this subject to death.


Constitutional Federalist Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said he's interested in mounting a 2016 presidential bid.  "I'm not going to deny that I'm interested," Paul told ABC News in an interview.

I love Rand Paul.  But I am sorry, listening to Rand speak is about as interesting as watching paint dry.  Maybe he will get better, but I doubt it.

Senator Marco Rubio impresses me much more than Rand.  Rubio has that ethnic immigrant rags to riches American Dream success story which should play well with millions of voters.

I also suspect that Rubio has a good solid Federalist-Liberty backbone.  When Congress passed the NDAA in a landslide to give Obama the power to arrest and jail Americans without a trial, Rubio stood nearly alone with a handful of other Senators to oppose the bill.  See the  US Senate NDAA roll call vote.

Rand Paul emphasized in this interview that he was not yet ready to announce his candidacy, but said he believed his brand of libertarianism could open up the map for Republicans.


Rand Paul On 2016: "I'm Not Going To Deny That I'm Interested"




"I think we have to go a different direction, because we're just not winning, and we have to think about some different ideas," said the Kentucky lawmaker, a favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement.

Among Paul's proposals:
  • undertaking immigration reform
  • defense cuts
  • allowing individual states to legalize marijuana.

"States should be allowed to make a lot of these decisions," Paul says. "I want things to be decided more at a local basis, with more compassion. I think it would make us as Republicans different."

Speculation had grown about the senator's political ambitions after he endorsed Mitt Romney ahead of the Republican convention and was rewarded with a high-profile speaking slot in Tampa, Fla.


The 2016 GOP nominee must be a Federalist.  No more Liberal
Big Government centralization of power in Washington.

“You know, my first choice had always been my father," Paul told Fox News at the time. "I campaigned for him when I was 11 years old. He's still my first pick. But you know, now that the nominating process is over, I'm happy to announce that I'm going to be supporting Gov. Romney.”

"How about another compromise?" Paul said. "Republicans who think military spending, myself, who think national defense is important, should compromise and say, 'You know what, not every dollar spent on the military's sacred, we can reduce the military spending' — that's a compromise. Democrats should compromise also — entitlements and welfare, the spending can come."

(The Hill)



Constitutional Federalism
The only way to freedom and prosperity
 
 

No comments: