Pick Your Nightmare
- Story One: The Kurds in Iraq are being starved by the U.S. for weapons so they are unable to fight ISIS.
- Story Two: Meanwhile the Arabs and Turks in Syria claim Dear Leader Obama is bombing for the Kurds to "ethnically cleanse" Syria of their peoples in order to create a greater Kurdistan.
- I am not an isolationist, but I say get the Hell out of this area and stop the CIA from sending arms to the Islamist rebels. They are all crazy.
(McClatchy News) - After receiving a crush of 13,000 Syrian refugees in less than a week, Turkey on Saturday closed a key border crossing to Syria and complained that a combined U.S.-Kurdish offensive against the Islamic State was driving Arabs and Turkmens out of Syria.
With Kurdish forces reported closing on Islamic State-controlled Tal Abyad, the Syrian town across from Akcakale, Turkey, the apparently successful offensive against the extremists has laid bare the clash of interests that has vexed the U.S.-led campaign against the Islamic State in Syria.
On Thursday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in one of first public appearances since his party lost its majority in parliamentary elections, accused “the West” of killing Arabs and Turkmens in Syria, and replacing them with Kurdish militia affiliated with the banned Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK by its initials in Kurdish.
“The West, which has shot Arabs and Turkmens, is unfortunately placing the PYD and PKK in lieu of them,” Erdogan said.
The PYD, or Democratic Union Party, is a Syrian Kurdish political party affiliated with the PKK, which has been declared a terrorist group by both Turkey and the United States. The PYD’s armed wing, the People’s Protection Unit, or YPG, is credited, along with an intensive U.S. bombing campaign, with holding off the Islamic State at Kobani after a four-month siege.
Arabs and Turkmen who’ve fled Syria use more caustic terms to condemn the Kurdish offensive, which also is backed by U.S. airstrikes. They charge that YPG militias have stolen their homes and livestock, burned their personal documents and claimed the land as theirs.
- “They forced us from our village and said to us ‘this is Rojava’,” the term the YPG uses to describe a swath of territory it claims across northern Syria, said Jomah Ahmed, 35, a member of the al Baggara tribe. He arrived from the village of al Fwaida with dozens of members of his extended family before Turkey closed the border. “They said ‘Go to the al Badiya desert, go to Tadmur, where you belong’.” Tadmur, captured last month by the Islamic State, is more than 100 miles to the southeast of Tal Abyad.
Non-Kurdish Syrians say that campaign is now under way. They say that the Kurds are trying to create an autonomous state in northern Syria and that the United States is helping.
- Equally bitter, Tarik Sulo, the spokesman for the Syrian Turkmen community in northern Syria, said the U.S. bombing support and the YPG ground forces “are changing the demography of the area in an ethnic cleansing.” He said Turkmen, an ethnic Turkish minority in Syria, “are losing lands where they have been living for centuries.” The YPG captured two Turkmen villages on Thursday out of 20 with a total population of more than 40,000. On Saturday, its forces were reported to have advanced to the outskirts of Tal Abyad.
|"Syria" Never Existed To Start With|
Most of the Middle East "nations" we are trying to "save" were artificially created out of thin air by European Imperialist powers before and after World War One. Countries like Lebanon, Libya, Syria, Iraq and Kuwait had never existed before the West marched in to divide, conquer and set up their colonies.
See our article:
The Artificially Created Nations of the Middle East May Vanish at Last