.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Walking Dead’s Jaw-Dropping Return: A Beautiful Hallucination, Then Death.



Tyreese -  RIP
This was a jaw-droppingly beautiful episode—a perfect example of the creative heights The Walking Dead can achieve at its very best. 


From The Daily Beast:
The Walking Dead aired its most gorgeous, unsettling episode since ‘The Grove,’ with familiar faces, hallucinations, and a heartbreaking goodbye. Warning: Spoilers ahead!
After The Walking Dead’s midseason finale in December, showrunner Scott Gimple promised that things would get darker and weirder when it returned.
And holy 112-oz fudge pudding, he was NOT kidding.
The opening minutes of “What Happened and What’s Going On,” or “The One Where You Scream at Your TV a Lot,” had flashbacks, flash-forwards, hallucinations, and dead little girls. We saw a shovel dig up a grave and heard Father Gabriel read from the Bible during a burial service, which we all presumed was for Beth. Since, you know, Maggie’s sister got shot through the head in a deranged hospital accident just one episode ago. One. Episode. Ago.
The funeral wasn’t Beth’s—it was for Tyreese. Tyreese. Our heroic, conflicted, dear beanie aficionado, who refused to kill unless absolutely necessary (and sometimes not even then—hello again, Martin) and never deserved any of this. Slick move, Scott Gimple and friends: Lull us into a false sense of security after Beth’s death, then hack our hearts into a thousand pieces with the show’s most gorgeous, unsettling episode since “The Grove.” Well played! Jerks.
Tyreese finds the disemboweled body of one of Noah’s twin brothers in a bedroom. He becomes fixated on photos of the little boys on the wall, which show them sitting together smiling, or with their big brother at a game. Juxtaposed with the tiny, gruesome corpse still in his twin-sized bed, the photos are almost too much to bear for Tyreese. We dwell in the tragedy for a moment, glimpse a dark figure behind Tyreese, wait, oh my god, what is happening, TURN AROUND TURN AROUND WAIT NO NO NOOO!
Read More . . . .



Interview with actor Chad Coleman
Tyreese Speaks From Beyond The Grave

The episode was a spectacular reunion of long-passed characters, a crowning moment for actor Chad Coleman, and the best entry so far in what’s been the show’s strongest season in years. Coleman talked to The Daily Beast about Tyreese’s final episode, his favorite moments on the show, and what projects he’s going after next.
Hey Chad! So that episode was a big, bad dream and you’ll be back next week, right?
[Laughs] That’s very sweet. Thank you.
When and how did you get the news?
Three episodes prior to [that episode], Scott called me. He kind of teared up and when he teared up, I was like, “Oh shit, this is real.” I just kept saying, “Wow, wow, wow, wow.” And then I just sat for a moment like, “You know, I’ve done amazing work. You guys have given me amazing stuff to do. If it’s time to go, it’s time to go.” And then he proceeded to tell me how I was gonna go and I was like, “Can we just shoot tomorrow? Let’s go.”
So it was a total surprise?
Oh yeah. Yeah, I mean—well, I say “total surprise” because Scott did a good job of taking me off the path. I had a suspicion that maybe it didn’t line up completely. Like when my character lied, I knew something was wrong. When I lied and said I’d killed the guy [Martin, from Terminus] and I hadn’t…I knew something’s going on here. I wouldn’t have done it that way, but they did. They had to be speaking to a level of vulnerability, like, “You can only last so long.”
What was your reaction to the script? I thought Tyreese got the most beautiful, elaborate sendoff of any character so far.
That’s right, and that’s why I had nothing to say but “Bullseye, dude. This is amazing. This is an homage to the man.” If you don’t know who Tyreese is, or you didn’t know, you know now. I would say, “This is brilliant, man, this is poetic.” This is the way I wanted to go out. Everything was in there. I fought courageously to live and I went out in a somewhat tranquil and peaceful state. It was absolutely perfect, and with everybody coming back… This is definitely in the top five [Walking Dead episodes]. Along with “The Grove,” I think we got no. 1 and no. 2, but that would probably be too egotistical. [laughs] You can make a play for the episode where Scott [Wilson] gets his head cut off and you could make a play for Beth’s death being in top five.
It’s so weird to think that Beth’s death came just one episode before this. It was so abrupt compared to Tyreese’s death.
[Scott]’s a genius. He knows that [Beth’s death] was gonna jog the psyche to the point where [viewers] think ain’t nothing gonna happen. “Nothing can happen now, they gotta take a breather.” Yeah, right! “I know they gonna take a breather, they gotta slow it down now.” Nope! Got ‘em!
What was it like seeing all your old co-workers again? David Morrissey, Emily Kinney, Lawrence Gilliard Jr., Chris Coy, and the girls, Brighton Sharpino and Kyla Kennedy?
I think it was my last day of shooting. It was big, big, tremendous hugs and tremendous gratitude that these folks were coming back to be a part of this monumental deal. If there was another character for me to play, it would have been the Governor.
Really? Why the Governor?
I love dudes that are just so charismatic and then take a sick turn. I find them fascinating. Even in real life, like Jim Jones, or Hitler—they’re a half-step away from brilliance, but there’s that fatal flaw.
What’s your take on Tyreese’s final moments?
He understood that death could be close, but he was gonna fight to the nail. But that couldn’t stave off the hallucinations; they were so strong, he thought they were real. He’s really fighting for his ideology, his core beliefs, the way he sees the world. Other people came back, just his consciousness, guilt, rage against those that would try to make him live any other way. There was this moment where Death was saying “come on” through Bob and the girls. In another sick way, it was like, “We got killed off too. It’s okay.”
Ha! “Welcome to the club!”
“Come on over, Chad! It’s cool, man.” I’m joking on that part, but just when they were gonna invite me like, “Come on home, buddy,” Rick and them were there, like, “Come on! We’re gonna fight for you!” That’s the way I saw that.
Full interview at The Daily Beast.com


The best damn show on TV is back with
15.6 million viewers on Sunday.

Rick is starting to look rough.
The Zombie Apocalypse is not treating him well.

No comments: