.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Monday, February 7, 2022

A Little Monday Music - Jim Croce

 


'Cause I've had my share of broken dreams
And more than a couple of falls
And in chasin' what I thought were moonbeams
I have run into a couple of walls
But in looking back at the faces I've been
I would sure be the first one to say
When I look at myself today
Wouldn'ta done it any other way


James Croce (January 10, 1943 – September 20, 1973).

I related to Jim because he was the true American, blue collar every man who it all the hard way.

He enlisted in the Army National Guard in New Jersey. Even there it was the hard way and he had to go through basic training twice. He said he would be prepared if "there's ever a war where we have to defend ourselves with mops."

He worked in construction, as a welder and drove trucks. His songs reflected the Blue Collar American.

His breakthrough came in 1972; his third album, You Don't Mess Around with Jim, produced three charting singles, including "Time in a Bottle", which reached No. 1 after his death. The follow-up album, Life and Times, contained the song "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", which was the only No. 1 hit he had during his lifetime.

For me September 20, 1973 was the day the music died.







No comments: