.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) – A Review




By Gary;

Sometime back in the 20th Century I had a video tape of Remo Williams: The Adventura Begins. Somewhere along the line the tape vanished, But then along comes the streaming service Tubi. Now Remo and I have been reunited and it feels so good.

I saw it in the theater, but the love of the movie grows over the years. 

The film is an oddball mix of action, martial arts and comedy with a big portion of government corruption.

Remo is a snapshot in time. The movie holds up fairly well. 

At its release Remo was perhaps the best B+++ film ever made.

It is refreshing to see old time stunt work done by real stuntmen instead of fake looking CGI.

For those who have not seen Remo, it is truly a guilty pleasure popcorn flick.




Wilford Brimley, Fred Ward and J.A. Preston



Thoughts from YouTube fans


I loved this movie when I was 15 in 1985, and still love now at 52. Just a great movie full of hilarious lines and stunts.


Chiun is the best thing ever. I can't believe this movie didn't turn into a 6 movie franchise.


One thing I teach my children is that fear is just a feeling, and that fear by itself won't kill them, thanks Chiun, I'll remember that as long as I live.


Chiun's racial supremacy, metaphors, irony and ego was hilarious. I've read over 40 Destroyer books and I never got enough of Chiun's dialog.


I grew up watching this movie and listening to The Destroyer series on audio books that my dad (truck driver) would bring home. I still love them. Chiun is one of my all time favorite fictional characters.


One of my most favorite films! Great cast, directed by Guy Hamiliton, music by Craig Safan. Love the humor and the relationship between Remo and Chiun. Perhaps not PC by today's standards, but Joel Grey remains a remarkable actor. Just a wonderful popcorn movie!


I've probably read over 120 of the 150 books in the series this movie was based on. When I heard that Joel Grey had been cast as Chiun I had a fit. Railed about horrible miscasting, lack of vision for the source material, and several other reasons that the casting was just wrong. But, like Michael Keaton's Batman and Heath Ledger's Joker (both of which I bitched about as well), Joel Grey absolutely nailed it. He WAS Chiun.



No comments: